2 slices bacon
1/2 medium onion finely chopped
1 large leek, both white and pale green parts finely chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 bay leaf
1 1/4 pounds butternut squash, seeded, peeled, and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 medium Granny Smith or other tart apple
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup water plus additional for thinning soup
2 tablespoons sour cream or crème fraîche
Sour cream or crème fraîche
Chopped unpeeled apple
1. In a skillet cook bacon until crisp and drain. Keep about 2 tablespoons fat.
2. Crumble bacon.
3. Heat the saved 2 tablespoons fat in a heavy saucepan and add onion, leek, garlic and bay leaf. Stir regularly until softened. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add squash, apple, peeled and chopped, broth, and 1/2 cup water. Simmer mixture, covered, until squash is very tender, about 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
5. In a blender purée the mixture and transfer to saucepan.
6. Whisk in sour cream or crème fraiche. Taste and add salt or pepper if desired.
7. Heat soup over low heat until hot.
8. Serve soup topped with crumbled bacon and accompaniments.
Do not let the soup boil when heating so it does not thicken.