¼ cup fine bulgur wheat, ½ pound finely chopped ripe tomatoes, juice of 2 large lemons, 1 bunch finely chopped scallions, 3 cups chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, Kosher salt to taste, ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, 1 small garlic clove, minced (optional), ¼ cup chopped fresh mint (optional).
1. Place the bulgur in a large bowl and cover with water letting it soak for 20 minutes. The product recommendation is Bob’s Red Mill Golden Bulgur. Very good quality, texture and price.
2. Drain through a cheesecloth-lined strainer and press to squeeze out excess water.
3. You can transfer to serving bowl or use the same one. Toss one by one the tomatoes, scallions, parsley, mint and garlic.
4. Add the salt to taste, lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil and mix well with large forks.
5. You can serve with pita bread and also endives for a lighter option,
Cooking Tip: For best results, allow the bulgur to absorb the lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil. Prepare at least three hours in advance. Once you have finished the preparation, leave at room temperature or in the refrigerator for three hours.
Photo: Janie Garcia Photography.